Wednesday, February 27, 2013

pink cake with raspberry drizzle





Just a pink kind of mood today, (but come to think of it, I am rarely not in one).
This is a simple cake - no fuss or frills, less time-consuming than it will appear.
I adapted it very loosely from an old angel food cake recipe, and
I have to say I don't really buy into multi-step, separating-all-the-wet-and-dry-ingredients recipes.
This is the way I do it. It's simple and it works.

Ingredients:

CAKE:
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 water
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
Red food colouring (optional)

- Preheat oven to 350°F.

- Beat eggs, water and lemon juice in large bowl.

- Slowly add in sifted flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.

-Pour batter into ungreased cake pan. I use a Bundt, but anything works. 
Swirl in food colouring if desired.

- Bake about 40 to 45 minutes, or until inserted knife comes out clean.

If using Bundt or tube cake pan, remove from oven and let cool in pan, inverted.

DRIZZLE:
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
1/3 cup raspberry jam or preserve
2/3 cup granulated sugar

- Add ingredients to blender. Blitz until smooth.

- Pour blended drizzle into small saucepan, simmer at low heat for a few minutes
to dissolve sugar and melt any still-frozen berry bits.

- Let cool before drizzling.

*For what it's worth, leftover drizzle is excellent over ice cream!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics